Sunday, January 6, 2013

Recycling a Christmas tree

On January 6th in Bavaria the Christmas season ends and almost every family throws its Christmas tree away. 
But we don´t do that like IKEA told us in a merchandising spot a few years ago.
We don´t celebrate "Knut". :)

We have a fireplace in our living room and so we always cut down the branches and put them into boxes to stir them up gradually.
This is the work I´m doing while my wife does the packaging of the decoration and the cleaning
(sorry, Karin).

Within the last few weeks my fever for French and Indian War inflamed again and I´m often thinking about possibilities to get nice terrain like woods or block houses.

Cutting down the tree today I recognized that if you strip off the fir needles from the branches the structure looks best for my tinker-project that I decided to keep some of those branches.
I won´t have to use skewers which need to be provided with a structure to look realistic and I even 
won´t have to paint them - the branches already have the most natural colour.

The structure of the branch on the right side is my favorite.

They can immediately be used as barricades on your wargaming table.
Okay, maybe some of you already had this idea but for those who didn´t just think about it.
Don´t celebrate "Knut", just recycle some parts of your old Christmas tree.

Bye
Mike

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a very good idea, Mike. Thanks!


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. You`re welcome, Jeff.
    Sometimes things can be so easy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mike I'll try and remember that!:-)

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good idea of Recycling the odd christmas tree... unfortunately I don't celebrate Christmas so no tree for looting :-) But possibly some of my neighbours do... I'll keep that one in mind for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick,
      yes, just have a look at your neighbourhood. :)

      Delete
  5. Great idea Mike, not sure it'd work on my plastic tree though??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray,
      I didn´t try it with plastic trees yet. Please leave me a note if it works. :)

      Delete
  6. Very nice...and a great looking picture!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete