Thursday, July 20, 2017

Hobby in general - Modular tiles for a gaming table - WIP - Part one

Hi,

in my last post I showed some pictures of a selfmade terrain plate for Dead Man´s Hand.

But one plate is not enough and I always have the problem that I have to use some boards that have the wright color but not the wright size. It is always tricky to form a suitable gaming table.

So I decided to produce some more plates in 60x60cm of size that are modular and would be able to be arranged in different settings.

It is a try for I never did this before. In the last days I often made up my mind how to manage this project because I´m not a carpenter but a simple account manager.

I love to work with wood and I also like to create or build something in compensation to my daily business.

So here are the first results of this Work in Progress.

First of all I organized some mdf-plates of 60x60cm size and 1cm height. Also I bought some wood affords.
These wood affords are 1cm in depth and 3cm in height. I cut these affords into 59cm length.

Then I drilled some holes into the mdf-plates and fixed the cutted affords of 59cm with small screws.

Tadaaah !!! :)

As the affords are 59cm and the mdf-plate has 60cm length I just had to fix 4 of these affords.

It overlaps only once on each side.

The finished construction. But I wanted more....

I just measured 1,5cm from the top of the construction...

...and just 5cm from each edge.
After that I drilled a hole into the afford on the marked spots...
...and just fixed a magnet into the drilled holes.

I just had to be careful to fix the magnets in the wright way to be sure that the poles would not repel themselves.


Five new terrain plates ready for further construction.


It fits very well - :)

Next step is to glue tiles of 58x58cm styrodur in 4cm heigth.

PVA-glue - the best to fix the styrodur.

The filled frame....

There is one part of styrodur missing. So the DIY-shop will see me again tomorrow.

To be continued....


Cheers

Mike


4 comments:

  1. Looking great! Epic battles incoming.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike. Been really enjoying your blog for the past few days, such inspirational work. I was saddened to see that i hace caugt up and can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sieht toll aus, Mike, und ich bin ganz neugierig, wie es weitergeht... Wie machst Du es mit den Fugen, die zwischen den Styrodur-Platten entstehen? Bin gespannt auf mehr!!
    LG, Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,
    Sorry don't know your email but I am trying to answer your message over on my blog re buying my book 'Setting the Scene'.
    If you didn't receive a PayPal invoice from us then we probably haven't received your email.
    We have already sold 19 of the last 25 today so if you still want a copy send me an email to kerstinsmith@ntlworld.com
    Cheers,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete