Wednesday, July 12, 2023

SYW - Russian Army for my collection

Manufacturer:   Wargames Foundry

Scale:   28mm


Hi,

as I have told you a few posts ago I will public some posts about older things I did during the last years that I had not been able to post yet.

This post is about a Russian Army of the SYW that I bought last year. The figures are 28mm Wargames Foundry and they are already painted. 

The only thing is that they look very glossy and the figures are single based. To give them a look of my style I will have to give the figures just a little more highlights, a matt varnish and place them on bases of three or four men. The cavalry units have to be numbered up from 9 to 12 men. The reinforcements are already lying on my pile of shame. :)

Recording to my speed of doing things like that it will take me some time. But the first steps already had been done. There are two bases of infantry and also two vignettes of command figures that are ready for action. As always some other projects - like the Tyrolean Rebellion - have to be done, too. 

But that´s the joy of our hobby - just do that kind of thing you have most fun at the moment. Otherwise it would be work. :)


Cheers

Mike

My first redone figures so far - two stands of infantry, one command vignette...


...and a second command vignette.


A comparison of the single based glossy figures with the new style of four "repainted" men on one base.

I also repainted the red parts with a lighter red and gave the figures just a little more highlights.

Normally my command base has two standard bearers...

...but in my opinion just one looks good enough and saves me time.

A view on the complete Russian Army consisting of...

...5 pieces of artillery with 23 men crew, 19 Pandurs, 1 unit of Cuirassiers and Hussars,...

...another 3 units of Dragoons,...

...12 dismounted Dragoons,...

...5 units of infantry, 19 men each,...

...and finally another 9 infantry men, 3 disounted and 3 mounted Commanders.

And finally a picture of my SYW collection so far. My Austrians on the top, my new Russians at the bottom left and my French Army at the bottom right.






6 comments:

  1. A very nice army, you don't see Russia too often so it's good to see some, I always think the green/red uniform is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Donnie. I like all armies of the SYW because it is my favourite time of warfare with all the tricorns and mitras. But you are right - the green uniforms of the Russian army has something very special.

      Delete
  2. Looks just great Mike! I didn't know your Russian army was that big!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete